Thursday, August 8, 2013

Summer Mentorship Component

Literal
1. Mentorship Log
2. Mimi Orth
(626) 798 1680
3. What questions did I have during the mentorship?

  • How do you choose what type of fonts work well with each other and what how can you identify legibility without needing to print?
  • How can one successfully integrate different forms of type in their designs to help a reader in diminishing the 'fear' when seeing large blocks of copy.
  • How can you design photo packages that not only help with the flow of the page, but also don't draw away from the impact of the dominant photo?
  • When receiving critique, how do you decide which elements stay and which change based on critique?
Interpretive
4. Graphic Design is a job that is far more difficult than people seem to imagine. Countless hours of hard work go into designing some of the best looking ads, magazines and yearbooks. Inspiration is key in making a design and you should ALWAYS have some sort of inspiration rather than designing out of your own head unless you are the next GD prophet (Pro-tip: You probably aren't.)

Applied
5. Graphic Design has interested me ever since I learned how to use Adobe Photoshop during my Sophomore year. Since design interested me so much, I learned about GD in magazines and in different publications and joined Yearbook to test my skill. I was introduced to Adobe InDesign which I became proficient in. I still have much to learn, but Graphic Design is definitely a field which I am thinking about as a side job. (Pay is far too low for my goals.) This mentorship helped me improve my skills and lock in this topic for my Senior Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment